Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Coptic Museum




I ventured to Old Cairo the other day to see the Coptic Museum. Old Cairo is an interesting section of the city. Getting off the metro station, you are right at the museum, which is situated between the Hanging Church and the Roman towers of Babylon. A narrow, stone street twists down away from the station, where you can find tourist shops, vendors, and many other churches and monasteries. Cairo has a very small population of Coptic Christians, today it's about 6% according to Egyptian Government. However, this section of town is the most beautiful area I have been to. This partially results from the general lack of dirt, crowds, and honking cars that are everywhere else in Cairo, however, the gorgeous architecture is also important. The Museum has an amazing collection of Coptic artifacts, some as early as 3rd c. The building has a beautifully carved ceiling and encloses a very nice garden. It was particularly interesting to see Christian artifacts in a middle eastern setting. I guess that sounds obvious, but its bizarre to see the four gospels in Arabic, from the 1500s or before. I mean, I realize Jesus was hanging out not to far from here, but it's funny to see him, and other saints, actually look middle eastern. It amazes me how the excavation of many of these sites occurred in the early 1800s, before most American cities were built. Although many of these sites were discovered ages ago, it's also fun to think about what else is out there. For example, in the Monastery of Saint Shenouda secret treasure was discovered in 1987 that dates back to the 7th century. Ok, but the most bizarre thing I saw was a representation of Adam and Eve before and after their fall. I swear - in the upper left corner of this picture there is a ..... DINOSAUR?!?! It can be nothing else but a brontosaurus. It's from the 11th century, and was found in Tebtunis. I have tried to find a picture of this on the Internet, so I can show people so they don't think I'm crazy. But now really, tell me how in the 11th century the artist was familiar with dinosaurs? I'm pretty confident I'm on the brink of discovering a cover-up that spans several centuries. I'll let you know when I've got more information. Or I'll mail you my diary, just in case someone is on to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fascinating, mom

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed reading your exciting journey. Grandmam

Vinika's Blog said...

I believe you about the dinosaur, just wanted to throw that out there.